Don’t Let Others Talk You Out of Your Dream
Are you a dreamer like me? Someone who love to sit and just imagine what’s possible?
It’s amazing how many dreamers and vision setters experience isolation and internal doubts. I remember reading a quote on Instagram “Don’t let some who gave up on their dreams talk you out of yours.” And it resonated so deeply for me because of my dreams.
I have had more negative reactions to my dreams than positive ones and it always shook me up.
But after a decade of building a business to the 7 figure a year mark. I now have learned the power of rejecting advice, even if it’s from someone you admire.
So here is my message to all the dreamers reading this.
Dream. Envision. Stay true to that.
When Michael and I look at this building and the people in it … it’s clear that most of what has been created was because we didn’t listen to well intended advice.
- You’re in your 30’s it’s too late to change how people view fitness and restoration.
- That building is too big, you’ll never fill it.
- You’re working with your spouse? You’ll never make it.
- You’re paying your coaches HOW MUCH? You are crazy.
- You’re building a group program entirely for restoration and it’s NOT YOGA? No one will buy that.
- You have a full time person overseeing customer service?
- You pour all your profit back into educating your team and elevating your services?
- You left a budding consulting career to help your husband build a single location fitness business?
Yes I did. Yes he did. Yes we did. And you know what? It was hard to do in the face of all that negativity. Because ALL of that advice came from consultants or advisors we hired and paid hard earned money to gain insight from bright minds. I know, it’s hard to believe that advice which now looks ridiculous was once bought and paid for by us and sounded legitimately concerning. We didn’t know we could make it. We didn’t know if they were right. We didn’t know if we were just being ignorant millennials rejecting the sage advice of our elders.
But what we did know was we had an inner guiding wisdom, a deeper conviction about what our calling was and the risks it would take to get there. We trusted our instincts. We took the risks. To do that meant NOT listening to advice of people we paid to give us their honest opinion.
And here we are. We are growing. We are happy. We are thankful. We have the best team and the best clients in the world. Life is good. And we wouldn’t change a thing.
So what is your dream? What comments have stuck that are holding you back from a healthier lifestyle, a happier career, a freedom in your life? Sometimes what you reject is AS IMPORTANT as what you accept.